In this sport blog, we are going to talk about the future of the CBA in the National Hockey League. If you are not aware of this issue, the owners are ready to lock out the players again. As September 15th comes closer, we might not have a hockey season or maybe part of the season. The players have 53% share of the profits while the owners has the rest, which is 47%. The owners want to flip that profit-sharing to their way. They, the owners, are yelling how poor they are and how the smaller market teams are having problems paying their bills. If you know anything about hockey, you know way over half of the profits come from the box offices unlike the rest of the major sports. As you know the last CBA called for an entire season to be cancelled in 2004-2005. Under the current CBA, we had the average NHL team is worth 47% more in value. Last season, the league had 18 of the 30 teams showing red before they pay for their bank loans and other assets. The prior year there was 16 of the 30 teams. Along with the increase of player’s salaries increased by 11% to $59 million. Big market teams are doing fairly well with most of them making money or profit. So where is the issue here?
It is the small market teams that are mostly in the red. Owners want to go to NFL Model which is 48% or do what the NBA did this last summer which is 50-50 spit. To me, seeing a team like LA Kings winning the Cup this year just spell the end to the NHL I grew up loving and watching as a kid. They were the first team in league history to beat 1st seed when they were the 8th seed. Also they were the first time to win the Cup as 8th seed. Congrats to the LA Kings but I am sorry I love the power house teams in the league going back to the Orignal 6. Big Market teams should killing any league not just NHL.
This year’s Stanley Cup, which featured New Jersey Devils against LA Kings, draw the worse television since the 2007, which featured Ottawa Seniors against Anaheim Ducks. I believe my point is approved by this stat. However, it was in the Los Angeles market with the oldest team in California might have helped the ratings a little bit.
Stanley Cup Final Audience Averages Since 2007 on NBC and NBC Sports Network/VERSUS (www.sbnation.com)
2007, Ottawa vs. Anaheim – 1.8 million
2008, Pittsburgh vs. Detroit – 4.5 million
2009, Pittsburgh vs. Detroit – 4.9 million
2010, Philadelphia vs. Chicago – 5.1 million
2011, Boston vs. Vancouver – 4.5 million
2012, Los Angeles vs. New Jersey – 3.0 million
As we get closer to the September 15th expiring of the old CBA, this could be the end of this sport. NHL might be losing more than money but fans that keeps this league up and running. I believe with all the comments coming out on both signs that the owners care but they are not looking at the bigger picture, which is the future of this sport. You would think the owners will learn their lesson from the last lockout. The big question is that needs to be asked are you coming back this time? Will you try to buy tickets for this upcoming season? What is going to be the fallout if they do lockout for the season? I do not have the answers but the greedy are fighting over their billions and millions of dollars. If there is a lockout, all workers that clean the bathrooms, cashiers that run the hot dog, beer, etc will all be out of jobs. The workers that are trying to make it in this world will be on the unemployment line. In the end, the fans of this great sport and the rich history will not will the Cup and I believe there will not be NHL raising the Lord Stanley’s Cup in 2013. What is your thoughts? Go get some! Drink it! Enjoy it! Metal it! \m/
Bill DJ Weiser